Today's walk started in Great Bedwyn. We parked by the canal and headed into the village passing the wonderful cottages in Frog Lane. Crossing the canal, we noticed how many barges were moored along it.
We walked through the village and turned right at the pub and walked along the road to reach this thatched house which was being - well what?
We turned left here and walked across a field to enter Chisbury Woods. The walk instructions gave us impeccable guidance through the numerous paths. We passed an isolated house and find the right route across a large field, turning left down a lane to reach Chisbury Lane dairy farm. The old farm house has a plaque in the gable with the date 1629. This handsome building seems to be just one room thick. Our walk description indicates that this was a Long House.
We continued along the road and passed another fine long house on the left.
Soon after this we turn entered Bedwyn Common, which seemed rather misnamed - it was surely a wood!
We followed the main path through the wood to reach the Savernake Road and turn sharp left to find our way to St Katherine's church, just outside Savernake Forest.
The church was built for the Marchioness of Ailesbury by TH Wyatt in 1861. So, an estate church. It is cruciform with the tower tucked in the corner between the nave and the transept. The inside is apparenly very impressive, but of course the church is closed at present.
We followed the path back towards Great Bedwyn, gradually realising that we had come from Great Bedwyn in the opposite direction in an earlier walk. We eventually emerged opposite St Mary's church and walked through the village down to the canalside car park.
Conditions: rather grey.
Distance: 5 miles.
From: Savernake Forest from Great Bedwyn (Fancy Free Walks).
Map: Explorer 157 (Marlborough & Savernake Forest)