Wednesday 23 May 2012

Hinton Ampner to Bramdean

All in all this was a bit of disaster, but some enjoyment came of it. I intended to do another leg of the Wayfarer's Walk and picked up the route where I finished last time. I was feeling a bit below par, but I hoped that a bit of fresh air would improve things. Unfortunately, about 200m up the road I turned left, following a WW sign, but unfortunately it was one for a Circular Walk, rather than the linear route which was straight ahead. I only discovered this when I reached Bramdean, having followed WW signs the whole way. When I returned to Hinton Ampner I saw that the straight ahead sign was partially obscured, which made me feel just a bit better.

The obvious lesson is to review the route on the map before setting out. I do normally do this, but today I didn't, knowing already that there would be a long walk along a track through fields. So the real lesson is that you are at most risk of going astray when you think you know the way, but haven't checked. I fear I have learned that one before!

Anyway, the track through and beside fields was very pleasant. I loved the variety of shades of green.


When I reached the outskirts of Bramdean I was delighted by the Curate's Cottage, with its shell porch.


I crossed the main road by the pub and when the path ended soon afterwards in a housing estate, I could no longer escape the uneasy feeling that it had all gone wrong. A friendly resident took a break from his gardening to put me straight.

I was still feeling a bit rough, so I plotted a more direct route back: this is an area rich in paths. I took a path across fields towards the church. Across to the right, on the main road, a handsome grey and red brick Georgian house could be seen (Bramdean House, according to Pevsner).

The church of St Simon and St Jude was quite picturesque. A notice board proclaims its foundation in 1175, but Pevsner says that it is mostly 19th century.


Next door, in a classic relationship, is the Manor House, a rather forbidding double bay structure in red brick, originally of 1740. Then across fields to rejoin the track back to Hinton Ampner.

Conditions: sunny and hot (26 degrees).

Distance: just under 4 miles.

Rating: three stars.


Flower of the day

There was lots of Common Field Speedwell, looking very pretty in the sunlight.




No comments: