Saturday 4 February 2012

North Oakley to Deane Down Farm (Wayfarer's Walk 5)

Looking back towards Hannington

Another lovely bright, but cold day, and the perfect opportunity to continue with the Wayfarer's Walk. I picked up the route at North Oakley and headed through a farm and uphill in a south-easterly direction. Near the the top of the hill there was a nice view back towards Hannington, quite high at around 200m.

At the top of the hill, I turned left along a track which zig-zagged through a farm and continued parallel to the ridge to the north.


Now the path headed south-east again, around the side of fields and then through some light woodland. I would like to say that it was quiet and peaceful, but low-flying helicopters, presumably on training flights, kept intruding on the rural calm. 

It was very cold and the ground, much marked by horses' hooves, was frozen solid. There were some interesting patterns where rainwater had frozen in the depressions in the mud.


After crossing White Lane, I descended beside Great Deane Wood and watched four roe deer, first grazing then watching me as I got closer. At about 200m I got too close for comfort and they loped off across the large field.


Now there was an area of large open fields. I so liked the look of this curving line of oak trees that I failed to spot a sign for the correct path heading half right across a field of cabbages. Still, a right at the end of the trees brought me back on track.


A couple of further fields brought me to Deane Down Farm. I chuckled at the sign near the farm warning of "free range animals and children". Here unfortunately I had to call a halt because of pain in one knee. I put on the knee support I always carry, just in case, and retraced my steps, without too much discomfort.

Conditions: blue sky, sunshine, frozen underfoot

Forward distance: 3 miles; distance now traveled 18 miles.

Map: Explorer 144 (Basingstoke, Alton and Whitchuch)

Rating: three and a half stars.


Sightings

There were fewer birds about than last time, but I did see a small flock of Lapwings and some Mistle Thrushes. As well as the four roe deer mentioned above, I saw another group of three and a group of seven - presumably all the same group.

No comments: