Wednesday 11 April 2018

Hungerford

The Bear Inn

I am in Hungerford for an MOT for my car and I thought I might as well use the time for a walk around the town.  I started at the 17th century Bear Inn and headed towards the river Kennet passing Great Grooms antique shop on the right. It dates from the early 19th century.


Further along I passed the picturesque former fire station ...


... to reach the pleasing 1827 bridge over the river.


I had a little wander on the far bank as far as the former mill, but it was too muddy for further exploration.


I retraced my steps and turned left into the High Street - Hungerford is basically a linear town. On the left just after the canal bridge is Bridge House, mid 18th century with a Regency iron porch and a 19th century iron bridge to the first floor (Pevsner).


Passing under the railway bridge, I came to the Town Hall on the right. It was built in 1870-1 and restored in 1987-8/.


The facade has a lot of delicate flower motifs which are very attractive.


The upper part of the High Street has a pleasing medley of houses on the right hand side including the striking mustrad coloured United Reformed (Congregational) church.



The same is true on the left. Pevsner describes this are as "one the of the most satisfying  townscapes in Berkshire".


Reaching the end of the High Street, I retraced my steps as far as the Town Hall and then turned left into Church Lane and right into the Croft, which has a sort of village green feel to it. At the end lies the church of St Lawrence. The medieval church collapsed when its tower was rebuilt in 1811 and was replaced a few years later in a neo-Perpendicular style (Pevsner again).


I walked back into the town along the canal tow path (very muddy) and discovered from an information board that the area by the canal bridge was once a busy dock.



Conditions: grey, cool.

Distance: a couple of miles or so.

Rating: 3 stars. A very pleasant stroll, but nothing really outstanding.

No comments: